Nov 23, 2010

Do Muffins Resemble Ice Cream?

It's a dark, overcast, dreary day. It's only 4 pm and it seems later than that. Trees are bare, the ground and streets are covered with leaves. It's a perfect afternoon to bake pumpkin muffins (gluten-free, of course) and treat Ava to one with a cup of milk. I won't mention how many I had. It's rare I get to eat some sort of baked bread goods and when I do, I tend to go...slightly overboard.

Anyway, I shared my muffin with Ava - her first bite of pumpkin, I believe. She liked it and signed "more" and "ice cream." I was confused and corrected her with the sign for muffin. She obligingly mimicked my sign for muffin. I handed her a warm muffin and she again signed "ice cream." "No, Ava, it's a muffin." As she began to eat it, she again signed ice cream. She sometimes mistakes sour cream for ice cream and that's pretty understandable - it's white and goopy like ice cream - but orangey-brown pumpkin muffins? Not white and goopy.

The toddler brain is a mystery, sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. I think she was asking for ice cream on the side of the muffin. That's what I would want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Ava, where is the Ice Cream? I really can't imagine where she would have picked up the joy of ice cream!?! Ice Cream is great for any occasion, especially on the side of a warm muffin.

    ReplyDelete