Aug 23, 2010

Mommy's Miniature Judge

I’ll tell you a secret: I like to sing sometimes. I know, I know. I’m deaf so how do I sing? Well, I don’t fool myself - I know I sound awful but what the hey? I like to sing. So, that said, I’ll get on to what this post is about.  
When Ava was first born, I read about naptime and bedtime routines and there were many suggestions like baths, singing, reading a book, rocking, etc. I figured tiny babies liked their mothers’ voices and wouldn’t have any idea how good or bad the singing is and I wanted to sing to Ava. So, Ava’s simple naptime routine consists of me rocking her and singing a lullaby until she relaxes and is drowsy enough that I can lay her down and she’ll slip right into sleep. As soon as I sit down with her in the chair, she will immediately snuggle against my neck and chest with her pink cat for the naptime routine which usually only lasts about 2-3 minutes. I dearly love these fleeting moments.  
Lately, I’ve noticed that after Ava snuggles and I start singing a lullaby, she will raise her head up and look at me. In a very sweet moment, she’ll pucker up her lips and lean up for a kiss. Awww, what a loving baby, right? She usually won’t comply with my requests for kisses throughout the day but she becomes suddenly affectionate every single time I start singing a lullaby. I’ll give her a kiss and then continue singing. Ava will ask for another kiss, thereby interrupting me again. Coincidence? I think not. Then Ava will put on a pained expression when I start up singing again. I think she’s trying to say something.
Is she onto me? Has she figured out that her mama can’t sing worth a lick? Is she trying to drop a hint with kisses by saying, “Alright, my dear deaf mommy, it’s okay. I don’t need you to sing anymore. Seriously. Rocking in silence is fine.” 
I guess I would rather have Ava interrupt my singing with kisses than to have her roll her eyes at me and say, “Mom, you sing really bad. Stop already.” 

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, sorry, but this is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Ava will always thing that Mommy's voice is the sweetest! You guys are precious! Love you!

    ReplyDelete