Dec 3, 2009

Discipline

I really can't figure out how to discipline Ava. I've done the hand smacking and she either just looks at me and smiles or laughs. I've used my stern mommy voice and put a ferocious scowl on my face. That doesn't work either. I know she understands what NO means but she's just not offended. I'll bet she thinks it's a game and she'll probably smack my hand in return.

Well, today, I must admit to a bad mommy-wasn't-watching moment. I was distracted and suddenly noticed that Ava was gone out of sight. I heard what sounded like coughing as I searched for her and suddenly realized, as I espied her sitting next to my plant, that she was choking. I always thought I'd be one of those mommies that fly into a panic instantly and become useless but I was amazingly calm. I scooped her up and realized that she'd already taken care of it herself by throwing up (I was never so grateful for Ava vomiting as I was then!) and she was removing the object from her mouth herself. Good girl. Bad mommy for not watching diligently, though. She had put a handful of potting soil in her mouth which had pieces of bark in it. Thank the Father above she's okay!!

It's scary what can happen out of sight in a matter of seconds. I've berated myself enough for not keeping Ava within sight at all times. The scare has galvanized me into resolving to make Ava understand NO means NO. None of the laughing/smiling stuff. I know I can throw the plant out to prevent another choking incident but that is not the point. I can't remove every potentially harmful object from Ava's path and make her live in a safe vacuum. The point is that she needs to learn to obey her parents. So....either I smack her hand harder (or even her bottom) or I have to come up with another tactic that Ava will respond to. So, any ideas?

Anyways, folks, let's move onto more cheery stuff. I know this blog is about Ava (and subsequent kids) but I can't resist sharing my excitement about something. I'm going to start sewing! I've always had an interest and finally found the right opportunity. I took my first lesson a couple of nights ago and learned to make a drawstring bag. Not half-bad! It was fun and I'm already making a list of things I'd like to learn to make. So, I'll try not to use the blog to showcase my sewing skills but....since the blog is about Ava, I can post about the stuff I make for Ava. How about that?

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. I say you can definitely post about the things you make. :-)

    As far as Ava goes...she's still quite young! Just do what you can do, popping her hand is probably just fine, but she's not openly rebellious just yet...that'll happen when she's 18 months-2 years. Then you're in for a ride. Until then, just remember that she's still a baby and probably doesn't even REALLY understand what "no" means. But she will one day...that's when to start really enforcing things.

    All this for free from a not-yet-mom. Ha! :-)

    ReplyDelete