Jul 22, 2009

"Knick Knack Patty Whack..."

"...give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home." Well, not an old man. It's a girl. A baby girl. Rolling. Not to any particular destination. Alright, I give up. I know this song doesn't work for this post but here's a video of Ava moseying along:




Have I mentioned lately that we have a squealer in our midst? Not in the tattletale or whistleblower kind of squealer. Ava is exploring how loud and how high she can squeal. She also blows raspberries with a good amount of drool spraying everywhere and down her chin. Very attractive.

Ava drools and gnaws on her hands a lot. People (not just you, Mom) have already noticed and commented that she's probably teething but I find that very hard to believe. She's only 3 months old. I don't expect her to cut a tooth until she's practically a year old. I think she drools a lot because she's a baby and she gnaws on her hands because babies explore things with their mouths. It could be as simple as that.

I've been reading that you can start feeding solids as early as 4 months - when your baby can hold her head up, sit up supported, has lost the tongue-thrust reflex, and is showing interest in what you're eating. She can do all of the above but I haven't checked her tongue-thrust reflex and don't care to. Ava shows interest in everything I do so I refuse to rely on her fascination with us forking food into our mouths. I'm not ready to feed her solids and will try to hold out until she's 6 months. Some people can't wait to start feeding solids to their babies but I don't relate to that at all. I happen to like the convenience of nursing - no preparation, no messes, and it's free.

Roll with it.

PS: I've added an album called "Sleeping Beauty" to the Shutterfly site. It's a collection of pictures of Ava sleeping. As she becomes older and more mobile, she'll probably sleep in surprising spots and in funny positions so I'll snap photos then. Just click on the picture of Ava on the right side of the blog and it'll send you to her Shutterfly site.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feed that baby solids until you have to! It's such a pain. I was all excited to try when he was 4 months and now he has preferences. Excuse me, Luke you don't like peas, green beans, or any other green vegetable?

    Not that I can blame him...I tasted baby food and well, it isn't exactly yummy.

    Dinner time is a fight right now :( but otherwise we have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete