I decided to start potty training this week because I finally have control of my schedule with absolutely no demands on me for the first time in months. Greg is out of the country for two weeks. I thought it was a perfect time to potty train Ava. It's now August and in October, Ava will be 2 and half years old. Potty training needed to happen now before she gets too difficult to train as she gets older. She is ready; she has shown interest, has all the signs of readiness, she knows how to potty and has done so at random times.
It's only day two of training and I'm struggling with a sinking feeling of disappointment and discouragement. She was willing yesterday and is resistant today. I realized I made several mistakes in the timing of potty training. First, we've been in the country only 2 weeks and Ava hasn't had a routine. I think she is resisting because she probably still feels unsettled. Second, I shouldn't have gone this alone without Greg. I know lots of people potty-train their children without help but I think I need help. Third, I should've had the house in order and the pantry and fridge stocked. I was really distracted yesterday with the messy house and I wanted to clean and in doing so, I missed Ava's potty cues. As a result, I am not connecting the potty chair with her cues for her. Fourth, people have built up my expectations about potty training. They keep saying girls are easy and at her age, Ava would be especially easy. It's not easy.
Another thing about Greg being gone during potty training is that in a foreign country, everything takes longer. I have to go pay a bill at the bank. Since no one can do that for me, that means I have to go and Ava has to go with me. Since it takes so long to walk down to the bank and who knows how long it takes to get the bill paid with me not knowing the language, I'll have to put a diaper on Ava. I'm afraid that it will undo her training.
At least I have parquet and tile floors so Ava's accidents are easy to clean up. No carpet to scrub. It's also summer so it's warm enough for Ava to run around naked or just in underwear. It's also watermelon season so I can fill Ava up with her favorite fruit and she will go potty more often.
Maybe Ava will surprise me this week.
Don't lose hope Darling. It may seem easy to us older moms in retrospect, but I am sure most of us had our own problems when training our children. It is an intense chore for a stort period of time. You can do this it just takes persistence. Love you and wish you were closer so I could help.
ReplyDelete