Ava did great with traveling over the water. She napped during our layover in Charlotte which I was surprised that she actually did. We found a quiet corner in a fairly empty terminal and I put down my jacket and laid down with her. She insisted on having her feet on me to fall asleep and I obliged.
 |
| Napping during layover in Charlotte |
 |
| Giggling at a cartoon |
 |
| Listening to cartoon |
I was thankful for the entertainment embedded in the head rests on Lufthansa. She watched cartoons until she had her fill. She became antsy after awhile but when it was time for bed, we put her in pajamas to try and signal her brain that it's bedtime. She did okay sleeping on the plane - I ended up putting her on the floor between the seats because she was frustrated with not being able to stretch out. She slept.
We landed in Munich where it was 54 degrees - a big surprise after the heat wave in the U.S. I put Ava's sweater on over her PJs. I thought she would be irritable after only about 6 hours of sleep (she normally gets about 11 at night) but she wasn't. I guess the novelty was enough to keep her happy.
 |
| In her PJs in Munich airport |
 |
| Playing |
Ava got over jet lag pretty good. I didn't know what to expect. The first night, I became awake around 2am and then an hour later, Ava woke up also so we ate and played quietly. Then we both went back to sleep around sunrise. The next night, Greg got up with her so I could sleep. After that, I don't think she woke up from jet lag during the night again.
 |
| Sleeping off jet lag |
Before we came to our country, I'd heard that the people here love children and will give them treats. I was still unprepared for the sheer amount of attention to Ava! It's more than just getting treats and presents, it's the interaction she gets from almost everyone in her path. So far, in two weeks, she has gotten candy, free food (a bowl of rice one time!), a necklace, a keychain, etc. We were in a sewing shop a few days ago and as Greg and I were talking with the owner, Ava grabbed a spool of ribbon and proceeded to unravel the entire ribbon off the spool. She had a mass of ribbon in her lap. I was horrified when I discovered it but the owner just laughed and brushed me off. She scooped up the ribbon and proceeded to give Ava five colorful Tweety Bird buttons, all the while laughing, squeezing Ava's cheeks, talking to Ava. In a store, Ava would touch things and I would try to contain Ava but the salespeople always brush me off and let her do it. Kids here are spoiled and people are so tolerant. In restaurants, Ava would get done eating and want to walk around. I have been trying to teach her to stay around our table but of course, it's impossible for a 2-year-old. She will go by other tables talking, singing, dancing for other people. They love it. They pick her up and hold her. Every time I try to draw her away from other tables, people always brush me off and basically tell me to leave her alone and let her entertain them. Waiters and waitresses will pick her up and walk around the restaurants with her (usually within eyesight so don't worry). On buses, people talk to her and tease her.
Below in the picture, we were eating at a cafe in an alleyway and across the cafe was a shop. You can see a guy sitting next to jewelry table. Ava went up to the table to examine the jewelry and started to pick them up. I told Ava to stop and leave them alone but the guy (again, the brush-off) let her. They really enjoyed interacting with her, teasing her, etc.
 |
| She's turning into a dancing and singing diva |
Yes, Ava is eating up the attention. She's outgoing, anyway. She's going to get spoiled fast with attention and the freedom she gets but going back to the States will take care of that.
I mentioned that the kids here are spoiled. I've been told that they aren't disciplined and I saw proof of that the other day. We were at the playground and Ava was having fun running around. A little boy, a bit smaller than her, kept chasing her and had his arms out like he wanted to hug her. Ava was having fun running and being chased so she kept running away. I persuaded Ava to stop so the little boy could give her a hug - I thought. She stopped and the boy immediately hauled off and hit her on the side of her head. Ava looked shocked and put her hand on her head where she was hit. The grandmother with the boy didn't do a thing. She said something to him and of course I couldn't understand the language but it didn't sound like scolding at all. I was furious, I tell you. I wanted to hit him myself!! I grabbed Ava and we left the playground. I didn't know what else to do at that point - I couldn't speak the language. I don't know what is culturally appropriate; probably to do nothing.
Anyway, I don't want to end the post on a negative note so here's a picture of Ava on the ferry which is one of the transportation that we use to get around.
 |
| Riding the ferry |
That's all for now.
Wow, she is so adorable anywhere she goes. Looks as if she is adapting very well. It was great talking with you and Ava on Skype today. We love all the pictures of her, so keep them coming! Love you, Mom
ReplyDelete