Ava likes to tell stories. She will reiterate scenes from a movie, describe her dreams, retell a story from a book we just read, and even describe what happened to her. She will also tell you what’s happening in a photo of herself. Now, don’t think she is eloquent – it’s half babble and half distinct words and signs. For example, at the training center, Ava was playing in front of our quad where our little apartment is. A ramped up, loud groundkeeping golf cart came whizzing around the corner and scared Ava into a mad scramble for the front door of our quad. A few minutes later, Ava began recounting: “(babble) twuck!! (sign “drive”) (babble) Ava scared! Ava scared! (sign “Ava and “scared” with a crazy scared expression on her face)(babble) run!” Totally awesome, yes? She does the cute toddler grammar like “I is Ava!” She refers to herself in the third person: “Ava watch bear?” meaning she wants to watch Jungle Book. Her talking is very cute and even her pronunciation is cute. She can't say her Ls most of the time and sometimes her Rs.
Ava also makes song requests. I’d tell you the name of the song that she always requests but it’s ch’rchy. She likes to sing along and will even sign and sing at the same time. She can sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and do the motions but it’s hard to persuade Ava to demonstrate. I think she learned a few other songs in preschool but I haven’t kept up with it. Ava is probably going to turn into a singing and dancing diva.
Ava is just tons of fun. Today, she pulled the seat cushions off the couches and proceeded to play all sorts of games on it, including piling them and jumping off. She is always jumping and hopping and bounding. She strips down to her diaper and puts whatever clothes she finds in my drawers. She prances around in our shoes. She likes sandboxes, collects rocks, picks up every stick and flower in her path, and observes everything. She loves the water and is fearless when it comes to swimming. I can’t describe all the antics she does and they’re hilarious and exasperating. She definitely tests boundaries (she is two, you know) but the darling is remarkably affectionate.
For a while, she called all her friends’ parents “mama” or “daddy.” She is starting to describe the relationship of her friends and their parents. She will say that Billy is Jane’s daddy (fake names). I am glad she is starting to understand that she only has one person to call Mommy and one to call Daddy – her own parents.
I need to add pictures soon. I'll try my best!
No comments:
Post a Comment