Apr 21, 2011

Two-Year Checkup

I took Ava for her two-year check up today. She's healthy as a horse, of course. I just said, "horse, of course." I think that's a Dr. Suess rhyme or something. Anyway, they measured her as 36 inches but I think  35 inches is more accurate because they don't take very precise height measurements. Whether she's 36 or 35 inches tall, she is in the 95th percentile. She weighs 26 lbs and is in the 50th percentile for weight. She received her second Hep A vaccination today. Nothing new to report from that.

It's been a week of tremendous changes happening for Ava. She has been watching furniture go out the door, things being packed up, and the apartment become more and more bare. Her routine is off and will be for a little while longer. She has been doing a lot better than I anticipated about all this. She seems to be acting out a little bit but it's hard to tell if it's because she is 2 or tired and cranky or anxious about the changes. Probably a combination of all three. Again, it's just a little bit, nothing out of the usual. I am glad that we've kept her with us in the house as we worked as opposed to leaving her with a friend to get her out of the way. I think it helped for Ava to see everything happening and changing in increments but her parents are still there. Maybe it provides a measure of comfort and security. It's been a challenge to pack and work with a toddler to get into things, to beg for attention in some form (giving snacks, taking her out to play) but we've done well.

Ava is doing something really cute. She has been singing to herself for a while now but it's nonsense singing. The new development is that she's attempting to sing along when she hears familiar songs. I just love it.

Ava has been a little snuggly lately. We snuggle in bed every morning when she wakes up. Greg would get her out of bed and then she'd come into my room to see me. Then we'd snuggle. Some mornings, it'll only last 2 minutes. Sometimes 10 minutes. It has lasted as long as an hour at times. This morning, we all three snuggled and snoozed for 30 minutes. It's one of my favorite times because she's so still and lets me pull her in close. Otherwise, she's a huge ball of energy the rest of the day.

I wonder how much longer that will last before she decided she didn't want to snuggle with her parents in the mornings anymore...

1 comment:

  1. It will last for quite a while. Kids like to snuggle even as they get older. This is a special age when they are half baby and half toddler. Always take time to love your babies. It will be special memories when you are old and they are gone. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete