I already mentioned this on Facebook but this post is for those who are not on Facebook.
One morning, I noticed Ava signing "bird" while eating breakfast in her high chair. It was early and dark out so I was surprised there were birds singing even if she could hear them. Greg told me that my hearing aid was whistling, which is too high for me to hear so I didn't have a clue. Ava apparently thought she was hearing a bird when my hearing aid was whistling. Later that afternoon, she was eating a snack in her high chair and signed and yelled "bird, bird!" I adjusted my hearing aid and Ava's hand froze in the middle of the sign with a still, listening expression on her face. The bird stopped singing.
It's cute, isn't it? It's also very helpful. I'm always oblivious to my hearing aid whistling and I'm embarrassed when I find out later that my hearing aid whistled the entire time I was shopping at the grocery store. If I see Ava signing "bird!" while sitting in the buggy in the middle of a busy Target store, I'll know that's her code for "Mommy, fix your hearing aid!"
No comments:
Post a Comment