Jan 26, 2010

Shiny Surprise

I rock Ava as part of her naptime routine to signal her what is coming next and to soothe her so she can settle easily for her nap. She knows when she's being rocked that it's time for a nap. There are times when I sit down in the rocking chair, she immediately cries because she doesn't want to nap. There are other times when she'll sprawl on my chest and rest her head on my shoulder. Those are the times when I have to resist rocking her to sleep and holding her throughout her nap. It's definitely sweet when your baby cuddles with you. I think back to pre-pregnancy days when I swore up and down that I would not rock my baby to sleep and that my baby will learn to fall asleep on her own. Now, almost 10 months later, I'm definitely glad that Ava has the skill to fall asleep on her own but I wish I hadn't been so hard on her. If we're bl'ssed with another baby, I think I will take advantage of rocking my baby to sleep and savor the cuddles a little longer. I'll delay training the baby to fall asleep on her own a little later.

I had a surprise the other day. I was changing Ava's dirty diaper and saw something glint at me from inside her diaper. Shiny poop? I thought it was extremely odd and took a closer look. Apparently, she'd found a tiny piece of Christmas tree tinsel and swallowed it. I'm glad that it passed through her system without any ill effects but I'll be even more glad when she finally outgrows the phase of putting everything in her mouth. Maybe I should encourage her to walk more and once she moves around vertically and her line of vision is higher, she'll stop noticing the tiny things on the floor.

Or maybe she won't?


1 comment:

  1. Go away cobwebs and dust go to sleep,I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep. (unknown) How true this saying is because she will one day be too big and not want to be rocked. I loved every minute that I rocked you and I rocked you until you were atleast four or five. That was how you liked to be soothed. Love you.

    ReplyDelete