Apr 16, 2009

Wakeful

Guess what is Ava's favorite time of the day to be wide awake after a feeding? About midnight. She usually gets a feeding about 11:00-11:30ish pm and then likes to confound her mother by staying wide awake for another hour or hour and half. Does she stay wide awake during the day? Nooooo, Ava picks midnight to be awake! Seriously, she sleeps most of the day and her longest wake period is after her late night feeding around 11:00 or so. I'm learning to beat her at her game by going to bed about 7 or 8 pm to grab a hearty nap for her midnight marathon wakefulness. I'm usually exhausted by then to fall dead asleep at 7 pm -- and I used to be a night owl.

It's not so bad, really. I'm realizing tonight that even though I don't prefer this time of the day/night for her to be wakeful, I should treasure each moment of her newborn stage, no matter the hour of night, before she grows up and whisks herself away into adulthood. Ava is so low-maintenance anyway that she's not a chore to stay awake with. She's pretty content to lay and look around. Even now, she's lying on the couch next to me, just watching me type away. What an adorable baby...

Eventually, she'll get her day and night straightened out and spend more of her wakeful periods during the day. It's ten minutes til midnight right now and just an hour to go before she'll get sleepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment