Sep 4, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

Between nausea, constipation, and all-around aversion to food, I haven't cooked or eaten much. I feel terrible for Greg and I leave him to scrap food together for himself most nights but he doesn't complain. He tries to entice me with all different choices of food and sometimes, he succeeds. Sometimes I avoid cooking because smells can just set me off.

Yesterday, I found myself craving shepherd's pie. I actually wanted to eat! Straight after class yesterday, I went to the grocery store to pick up potatoes and cream of mushroom. I was excited about having a desire to cook and desire to eat. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I realized I couldn't find any cream of mushroom that was gluten-free. I was crushed. Campbell's cream of mushroom actually has wheat flour in it. Other brands have wheat flour in theirs , too. I was surprised because I assumed it was CREAM of mushroom and thus, wheat free. I even scoured the dry gravy mix section. It was the first time I'd actually felt discouraged about the gluten-free diet.

I headed home glumly and decided to try looking on the internet and sure enough, shepherd's pie was possible with Progresso's creamy mushroom soup! The store I went to simply didn't have that particular soup among its Progresso collection. Today, I went to another store, found the soup I wanted, headed home and proceeded to cook the most delicious shepherd's pie (cravings can make food taste more delicious than it actually is) and didn't even wait for Greg to come home! Of course he gave me his blessing to eat without him.

Needless to say, I stuffed myself to the point of misery but the good kind of misery! Hope the baby's stuffing himself, too.

This also makes me look forward to Thanksgiving especially because now I know I can have green bean casserole, thanks to Progresso's gluten-free creamy mushroom. I just have to make my own fried onion topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment