Feb 10, 2014

Ava: Throwback

I found an old blog post in the drafts folder that I never finished, from September 2011 when Ava was two years old, almost 2.5. We'd just moved overseas over a month ago. Here goes:

Ava likes to stick her hands in her cup. In this instance, it was a cup of milk.

Me: "Ava, don't put your hands in your cup. You drink from it, not play in it."
Ava: (pause) "Close your eyes."
Me: "Oh ho! Close my eyes so I don't see what you're doing? Ava, obey Mommy."
Ava: "Ava no obey Mommy. Ava obey Ava!"
Me: "You can obey Ava as long as it doesn't conflict with obeying Mommy and Daddy. Do you know what happens when you don't obey Mommy?"
Ava: (withdraws hands from cup and sips from it).

That was it. I never finished the post. There was one sentence in which I mentioned that I was looking for a preschool for Ava.

I look at that and how I discipline now. I'm much more strict than that. I wouldn't tolerate that conversation now but it's funny reading this...."close your eyes!"

No, darling, I don't close my eyes to disobedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment