Aug 10, 2012

Darcy: A Week Later

Well, it's been a week since Darcy came into the world and the week has flown by. People have been bringing meals and some stay to visit for a little while, both which I am thankful for; I celebrated my 33rd birthday a couple days ago with a family we are good friends with since our single days living overseas and in the States; Darcy had a check-up and so did I; and we've been settling into being a family of four.

I spent the first couple of days home grappling with having two kids - not so much the logistics and juggling two kids (all Darcy does is sleep and eat - she's SO easy right now) but the emotional connection. I think I was expecting some euphoric rush of looking upon TWO blessings in my life but Ava felt like a stranger to me for the first couple of days and I was still bonding with Darcy so I felt really odd and disconnected to both my girls. That quickly went away; I spend extra time cuddling with Ava and I cuddle Darcy after feedings so my heart and emotions (rather, my hormones specifically) have settled and everything is fine in that regard.

I also spent the first few days processing my labor and delivery experience. I wrote out the story over a few days, in short bursts, but even after the story was posted, I was still processing my labor itself. I was confused about why my contractions started off so strong and whether it really was that painful or I was just a pansy with pain. I did some research about labor after water breaking and it seems the general consensus that labor is more intense after the water breaks. Now, I understand better why my contractions were so strong and close together and why I was ready for the epidural sooner than I'd planned to get it. My one regret is not taking a childbirth class. Overall, I had great experiences giving birth to both Ava and Darcy. I still remember my reaction when Ava was born: "That was awesome! Let's do it again!" Yes, I literally said that. It was such a miracle to me. With Darcy, I enjoyed the miracle of birth but I was overjoyed she was here and I wanted to hold her - and so I did, straight out of the womb, mess and all.

I'm a journal writer. I've kept a journal since I first went overseas in 2003 and never stopped. A couple days ago, I pulled out my journal and looked back on the last entry which was Monday, July 30, just two days before my due date. I wrote:

"Pr'ing for the baby to come this weekend. Maybe Friday night the 3rd? Also pr'y that I'll go into labor on my own, that I can progress to 7 cm without an epidural, that the labor will go smoothly."

When I read that, I laughed. I was amazed. I went into labor on my own, I got the epidural at 6 cm,  no complications in labor, and Darcy was born the morning of the 3rd. Pretty close to what I was pr'ing for that day!

You know, it was kind of strange. Greg and I talk about how much Darcy looks like Ava did when she was born except Ava was chunkier. Darcy's legs are skinnier. Darcy was heavier by 7 oz and longer by half inch than Ava at birth and yet Ava, weighing less, was chunkier than Darcy. The only thing I can think of is that I only gained 23 lbs with Darcy and I gained 32 lbs with Ava. I may not have gained enough with Darcy to contribute to the fat on her body. Or maybe my maternity weight gain had nothing to do with it.

Oh, well, no worries. Darcy weighed in this afternoon at the doctor and she gained nearly a pound in a week, making up for her weight loss and exceeding her birth weight, so she's gaining weight just fine and will probably get the lovely, cherubic fat rolls...

I will post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment