Well, we're back! January was a very long month with illnesses, challenges, and frustrations. We're glad it's over, we're healthy again, and we're moving on.
Bringing an update on Ava's sleep issues, she now sleeps in a toddler bed in her room. We practice the silent return where we put her down for the night or for her nap and we simply return her to her bed every time she gets out. The first night we tried that, she kept getting up for 30 minutes before she was tired enough to give up and fall asleep. The next day at naptime, she kept getting up for an hour and 45 minutes (probably about 70-80 returns back to bed) before she fell asleep. Now, the returns are fewer but she still gets up at night to come into our room. We simply put her back and shut the door. I suspect she sleeps on the floor by the door. Eventually, the child will get it.
The other day, I saw Ava trying to put on one of my underwear over her jeans. I seized the opportunity to start potty training. I showed her her own underwear, asked if she wanted to wear it just like Mommy does, and she was eager. After a couple of days of potty training, I could tell that she wasn't quite ready. My heart wasn't in it, either. I'd just gotten over a stomach virus and I was tired of being cooped up from all the illnesses we all had (Ava had pneumonia, Greg and I had a nasty cold, and then as soon as I got over the cold, I had the stomach virus) and was eager to get back into routine again. So, potty training has been put off until a more convenient time - and warmer weather so Ava can run around with nothing on her bottom without freezing to death.
Ava is starting to form sentences and her vocabulary is expanding. She is very attentive to learning the signs to the corresponding words. She can't pronounce her own name and says "A-wa" instead. She can't sign her own name correctly either for that matter. She is forever calling out the letters of the alphabet, trying to count, name the colors and also shapes. She's funny because her first answer is "red" every time I ask what color and then if I say no, then she starts guessing wildly. "Green! Purple!" If I ask her what shape something is, her first answer is "circle!" She counts like this: "one, two, free, frive, ten!" Or I'll start off counting and as soon as I hit five, she'll finish off with "ten!" In summary, she knows her alphabet and gets about 4 letters confused like G and C; she knows the names of the colors but can't match the correct name to the correct color very well; she doesn't really know how to count because if I ask her how many, she has no idea; and she can pick out the correct shape that I call out about 50% of the time. It's really fun to watch her learn and she's pretty curious and motivated.
Ava is getting her two-year molars, her last set of baby teeth. It surprised me because I thought two-year molars came when you're...two. Ava's not two yet. Well, at least teething will be all over for her soon. Then I can't blame bad behavior on teething.
I don't know if I ever mentioned that Ava has bitten other kids. We had friends over yesterday for a play date and Ava got mad at her little friend and bit her good and hard. Needless to say, I was furious and delivered a couple of whallops without a second's delay. This is about the fourth time, that I know of, that she has bitten another kid. It seems Ava bites when she's provoked. When Ava is frustrated, she will bite the collar or sleeve of her shirt. I have been at a loss as to what to do about it. I've talked to her about it, I have spanked her when she has bitten me but she hasn't done that in months. It know this must sound terrible but I hope some other kid will bite Ava and teach her a lesson.
I have not sewn anything for Ava in a long while, probably close to a year. I'm working on an idea for Ava and have been selecting five different fabrics for it. I hope that it will turn out pretty and I will do the Big Reveal when it's complete!
Must go cook dinner!
Thank you for the update,Sweetie. We look everyday for news about Ava. All the learning of good and evil a child goes through is interesting.
ReplyDeleteAs I remember, the first child is a little overwhelming at times when you have no experiences to pull from. I promise the second one will be easier in many ways.
Aww, what a fun age (well, except the biting thing)! She sounds so smart! Wish I could be there to see it all for myself!
ReplyDelete