I'm doing MAD research on keeping an active nearly-18-month-old busy and happy on a plane. You guessed it: Ava and I are flying to Florida again. ALONE again. Dun dun dunnnn! Ava was a great flyer at 6 months old. Looking back, she was just so easy back then compared to now. The good thing about flying with an 18 month old is there is only one nap to worry about so booking flights in the morning is one step towards keeping Ava less cranky. Here's the thing, though: Ava's temperament is more on the high end of the intensity spectrum. That's my nice way of saying "tantrum-prone." She screeches when she gets mad or frustrated. Such a girl, huh? Granted, they're brief but annoying nonetheless. I aim to keep the screeches to a minimum for the sake of other passengers on the plane. This is why I'm doing mad research for ideas to keep her occupied and happy. I have no earthly idea what is fascinating to an 18-month-old that would keep her still, sitting in one place, and happy to be quiet. Tips, advice, and anecdotes are welcome.
Stay tuned.
We are so excited that you and Ava are coming home. I think the whole process of flying will entertain her. She will be in a new place, around new people with lots of things to see and experience. We are looking forward to Tuesday!!! Love you lots
ReplyDeleteMaybe borrow a portable DVD player and bring her favorite shows? Then again, there is always duct tape and rope (just kidding).
ReplyDeleteShe likes her DVD Signing Times, so borrow a portable DVD player and take a couple of her favorites on the plane. You guys will have a great time, even on the adventure to and from in the air.
ReplyDeleteLove you all, Nonna & Pop
I don't know if she likes to color but that may be an option for a short time. Books are always good and I've found that McKinley enjoys drawing on a magna doodle. It's quite handy and he can work it himself. I will often draw shapes or letters and then he will "color" them. Those are just a few ideas.
ReplyDeleteI decided against borrowing a portable DVD player because I will carrying bags alone and the player will be more cumbersome. Plus Ava will be on my lap so tray probably won't have room to come down and place the player on it. I got a travel size aquadoodle, mini cans of playdoh, books, and a sticker book. Ava likes stickers. I plan to use them when she has lost interest with everything on the plane like Sky Mall catalog, seatbelts, running up and down the aisles, etc. Thanks guys!
ReplyDelete