Mar 31, 2009

No Induction Date...Yet.

Last week at my OB checkup, they said if I hadn't gone into labor yet by my next appointment (which was this morning), they will set a date for induction a week from my due date (which was yesterday).

Well, obviously I haven't gone into labor yet and went to my 40 weeks OB checkup this morning. Everything looks fine, baby's fine, I've lost 4 lbs since last week (yes, I said LOST, not gain), and I'm still only about 1-2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. The doctor said the baby is very low so she's fully engaged and ready for delivery. The doctor and nurse weren't concerned about the weight loss at all so it's probably nothing.

Then we discussed the induction date. He started the discussion with the warning that inductions increase the likelihood of a C-section and gave me two options. He said some women are ready -- "take the baby out of me now" -- and other women want more time to give natural labor a chance.

Now, I've known that inductions increases the chance of having a C-section. I *really* don't want to have a C-section and that, in turn, makes me want to avoid getting induced. So, I didn't have to think about it for more than a second -- I said I wanted more time.

SO. The plan is for me to come back on Friday which will make me 4 days past my due date. I will get checked again and that is definitely when they'll set a date a week from Friday, which will make me 41 weeks and 4 days. Plenty of time for labor to start on its own. Looks like the induction date will fall by Good Friday at the latest (I doubt they'll set a date over the weekend) and Ava will be born right before Easter.

Please be pr'ying!

No comments:

Post a Comment