Feb 14, 2009

Now Don't Be Jealous...

Valentine's Day isn't a particularly important holiday for Greg and I. We might do a little bit of something but it's usually just another day. Greg surprised me with tulips, a tradition he started since our first Valentine's and I've loved tulips more than roses ever since. We cooked dinner tonight and I wanted to post a picture and poke fun at my amateurish attempt at a gourmet presentation. :-)
I didn't have parsley sprigs so I used spinach leaves and dabbed ketchup on the rim. I tried to scoop the potatoes with an ice cream scoop to put it on the plate with a rounded top but the potatoes were just too mushy -- which is the way I like it. Just having fun trying a gourmet presentation for Valentine's! We had NY strip steak marinated in an black pepper and onion marinade (courtesy of A1), asparagus sauteed in butter, and mashed potatoes with sour cream and skins. We decided on this menu and headed to the grocery store and found to our pleasant surprise that the steak and asparagus were on sale so the whole meal (we already had potatoes) cost about $10 at the maximum. Not bad for a Valentine's meal. The food was absolutely delicious and we stuffed ourselves til we were miserable.

We also had a dessert that I got from the Real Simple magazine and it's a light, hassle-free, and gluten-free dessert. Chocolate dipped marshmallows:


Then we watched Traitor with Don Cheadle -- which was an excellent movie, by the way.

Anyway, just wanted to show pictures of my "gourmet presentation." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment